So it turns out I like having a build going as I slowly get around to finishing previous builds. I dug around my stash and settled on this.
The other thing I noticed is that our Corona Build participation has gone way down (last post was May 18?), so I figured I had better do my bit to get it going again. I don't know about you, but between the heat dome and the continuing Covid disaster unfolding, I'm not goin' out much.
So at this point I've done about 80% of the assembly, and it's going pretty trouble-free. I have to give a shout-out at this point to Kurt for his recommendation of the Meng tweezers — I haven't twanged any parts across the room since I started using them — and to Dave for recommending liquid mask to temporarily afix road wheels.
Here are the general progress shots...
So as I said, this all went together beautifully. Then came the tracks. Individual links that hooded together and were capped with the "rubber pad" to hold the tracks together. I fiddled with forceps to try to keep the tracks together while gluing down the pad and it was an exercise in frustration. I have a pile of basswood blocks (stick stamps actually) of various sizes so I quickly glued together a small jig and thing started to go swimmingly, once I figured out that the rubber block had a orientation that you had to respect. the tracks are kind of flexible, depending on how far the glue ran — I got better as I went along.
Almost ready for initial painting.