This is the AFV Club 1/2 track. The individual link tracks by AFV were also used. The kit tracks were very good but I opted to use what I had in stock. The conversion to a munitions carrier was done using the Hobby Fan kit. This kit also included an engine and fender mounted jerry cans and brackets. The detail the resin pieces was very clean and crisp. I also chose to add 3 more jerry cans for water. These were Tamiya cans.
This AFV Club kit was the first kit from this manufacturer I have built and went together very smoothly. I painted in DAK service. Most of the 1/2 tracks started off in the traditional German gray color which is the way I started the paint work. The Hobby fan engine went into place perfectly and mated-up well to the kit transmission.
I cut the engine hood side panels in 1/2 to open the engine compartment to reflect how it would have been done in the desert to help engine cooling. The magazine panels did take a little time for fitment but ultimately worked well and looks good too.
I blacked base, followed primer red-brown on certain areas I wanted to bring out for weathering later. I used 'scratches' fluid by Mig next followed by German gray.
Next the Uschi splatter airbrush stencils were used to break up the flat panels.
The seats in the cabin and bed were finished in a leather look.
Gunze Aqueous H79 Sandy Yellow was applied over the 'scratches' fluid. Water activated the fluid to the desired effect of wear and chipping in areas that would show wear and tear. I approached the paint as if it were painted in theater.
Note the bent l/h bent headlamp. I tried it but later in the build I will correct it. In the 2 above images you can see the engine side panels that were cut and removed for cooling in the desert. Also at this point the magazine doors were just held in place with tape for painting continuity.
As with most individual link tracks, they take time and PATIENCE. After gritting my teeth and asking the question, How would Treadhead Cort deal with this, I managed to get them assembled. Rusting and weathering done, I felt the challenge was worth it.
I still have some fiddly bits, doors on the magazine and weathering to complete. I will post up those pics shortly.
I might add I am looking forward to get back to the 1/48 Ju-188 that has wings and NO treads.